Monday, July 22, 2013

Move It Just A Little Bit

As I reflect on my weight loss I think one of the secrets to my success was to make a series of small changes over many months.  Eliminating soda was first.  But right around the same time that I gave up soda I started to become more active.  For a lot of people, particularly exceptionally overweight people, even the thought of exercise can be overwhelming.  I was large enough that few exercises were possible, let alone comfortable; they often led to discomfort and soreness. In addition to practical limitations there may be psychological barriers as well.  I was always too embarrassed to exercise in the presence of others.  I had convinced myself that everyone was looking at me – even laughing at me.  

But no matter the obstacles I knew that to have long term weight loss success I had to get more active. Exercise burns calories, which is critical for weight loss, but exercise also provides lots of additional benefits that can improve both physical and mental health.  Depending on the exercise routine you choose, potential benefits might include improved cardiovascular fitness, increased strength, better flexibility, higher energy levels, improved mood and decreased stress/anxiety
There are almost limitless ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine.  Helpguide.org offers some excellent suggestions for making exercise a fun part of your life.  Consider your age, health (consult a doctor before starting any exercise program), fitness level, physical abilities/limitations, likes, dislikes and daily schedule.  Evaluate all of your options and then take action.

My personal commitment to exercise developed quite naturally.  About two and a half years ago my family bought a puppy – Samantha (Sammy).  She became a wonderful family pet and I became the main dog walker.  This simple thing got me on the road to a more active life.  Walking the dog was fun.  It didn’t really feel like work.  And for whatever reason, I was never self-conscious about walking Sammy the way I was about exercising in public.
In the beginning, we took 15 minute walks – less than a mile.  Inside a few months we were walking FOUR 15 minute miles!  With remarkably little effort I was losing weight, feeling good physically, feeling better about myself and I was more motivated than ever to keep losing weight.  Oh, and Sammy and I have become lifelong friends! 

In addition to getting more fit, I learned some valuable lessons along the way.  I learned that while people often did look at me as I struggled to walk (and eventually run), most of them were not laughing at me as I once feared.  For example, there is an older gentleman who rides his tricycle on a bike path near Lake Michigan where I do most of my running these days.  To this day, every time I see him he smiles, makes a fist with his right hand, gently pounds his chest three times then points at me with his index finger.  His gesture warms my heart every time.
People who exercise regularly are a family of sorts.  There are no style points for looking good or any bonuses for being faster, but in most cases there is instant respect for everyone’s commitment and effort.  Today, when I pass someone who is struggling to exercise, I usually do look at them, but I never laugh.  I admire them and deep down I cheer for them every step of the way.  And I know that a lot of people are cheering for me too.

If you are ready to lose weight, you need to move it just a little bit.  Add some daily exercise into your schedule.  Pick something that you do not dislike, that isn’t too painful (though a little soreness in the beginning is probably unavoidable) and stick with it.   Once exercise becomes a habit, you can start working on ways to expand your exercise program, increase intensity and burn more calories.  In about six months I went from walking the dog to running my first 5K race.  Within a year, I ran my first half marathon.  Anything is possible, but you have to start.  The more you move, the more weight you will lose and the more motivated you will be to continue your weight loss journey.

 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that exercise is an important component and I have been able to have a regular routine with the exercise bike. Dan has shown me some free weight exercises as well. It feels good. You, on the other hand, are quite outstanding with your efforts - really increasing what you do. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete