Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tidbits, Tips and Tricks

There are so many little things that can make a big difference when it comes to weight loss success.  Here are few things that I have learned:

·         Be Prepared – It is difficult to eat well and lose weight if your house is not well stocked with the things you need.  Take some time to think about what you enjoy eating.  Search the internet for healthier versions of those foods.  Shop often, buy fresh whole foods and make sure that your refrigerator and pantry are always full of the healthy food/snack options that you enjoy.

·         Cook Your Own Food – While most of us eat out from time to time, restaurant food is generally full of unnecessary fat, sugar, sodium and other things that are not good for us.  Also, it is almost impossible to know exactly what is in restaurant food.  By preparing your own food you control portion size as well as your food’s taste, quality and nutritional content.

·         Find Some Go To Recipes – No matter your particular taste, you can build a set of simple, versatile, recipes that you can use regularly.   For example, I love guacamole and citrus black beans.  Guacamole can be eaten separately as a snack, used as a filling for hard boiled eggs, or added to a salad, wrap or sandwich.  Black beans can be made in large quantities and eaten in many ways - by themselves, with rice, in an omelet, or in a burrito.  Hummus is another great dish that can be used as a snack with some whole grain crackers/flatbreads or added to a vegetable wrap.  Finally try marinating and grilling chicken.  Make plenty of extra so you can use it throughout the week – as a snack, for chicken salad, in a burrito/wrap or as a hearty addition to a garden salad.  How about a black bean and chicken burrito with some fresh guacamole and a dab of Greek yogurt – yummy!  Add some fresh salsa for another healthy and flavorful touch.  Save the extra salsa for a flavorful snack.

·         Eat A Salad and Drink A Glass of Water Before Dinner – Not only are salad and water good for you, they are filling and will help you avoid overeating.  Whether at home or in a restaurant, these are both good habits to develop.

·         Eating At Restaurants – Most of us eat out from time to time. The myfitnesspal.com app is a great tool for dining out.  I downloaded it to my smart phone so I always have it with me.  If I know where I am going to eat I use myfitnesspal to decide what I am going to eat in advance.  This way I can look forward to eating my meal and not be tempted by the many less healthy options on the menu.  If I can’t select my meal in advance I can still use myfitnesspal to evaluate the nutritional content of various menu items at a given restaurant.

·         Portion Control – A Health Magazine article discusses the importance of portion control and provides some great tips for learning how to cut calories by controlling portions.  Beyond normal approaches to portion control, in my experience, a little bit can go a long way.  At the height of my calorie cut down I still craved things like pizza, pancakes and ice cream.  Even though none of those foods were on my personal menu, my family continued to eat them.  Over time I discovered that stealing a couple bites from my wife or daughters almost always left me feeling satisfied.  To this day, I usually skip dessert and steal a bit or two from my girls.  This is an unconventional, but satisfying and effective way to help control portions.
Sometimes it can be the odds and ends that make all the difference.  Don’t forget to do many of the little things that will improve your chances for weight loss success! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment