Monday, September 16, 2013

Slow and Steady Can Win the Race

People frequently ask me, “What is the most important weight loss tip you can give me?”  That is virtually an impossible question to answer.  Losing weight and being healthier involves so many things:  diet, nutrition, calories, exercise, hydration, etc.  Everything you do works together to promote health and weight loss.  It is hard to pick just one thing.

But there is one thing I have learned that applies to virtually every aspect of weight loss – don’t rush it!  Use common sense, be methodical about your decision making and take your time.  To lose a lot of weight effectively, and in a healthy way, you are going to need to make a lot of changes in your life.  There is no reason to make all of these changes at once.  In fact, making too many changes too quickly will likely lead to unhappiness and ultimately failure.
I made lots of small changes over a long period of time.  Here some examples:
·         Soda - The first step on my weight loss journey was to give up Coca Cola.  After about three months without drinking soda, I felt confident that I could make another change.  Next, I gave up all drinks with sugar in them (e.g., Gatorade and iced tea among other things).  Three months later, about six month in all, I was ready to add more water to my diet – actually in my case it was Crystal Light Pure not plain water. At first I made sure to drink at least 16 ounces of water a day.  After successfully doing that for a couple of weeks I starting drinking 32 ounces of water a day.   Eventually, I was drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day! 

·         Eating More Often – Like many obese people, I skipped meals.  I rarely ate breakfast and more often than not I did not eat lunch.  This meant that dinner was frequently my first meal of the day; accordingly I almost always overate.  A huge meal was often followed by something sweet, then a snack and then maybe some leftovers before bed.  And I did all of this eating at the end of the day when I was relaxing and least likely to burn any significant calories.  I changed all this by deciding to eat three meals every day.  At first, I didn’t pay attention to what I ate – only that I was eating three times per day.  After a couple months of success I started adding snacks.  I eventually ate three meals and three small snacks (about 100 calories each per day).  My snacks were usually high in protein since they are more filling – a couple ounces of ham/chicken/turkey, a piece of part skim string cheese, yogurt or some nuts.  After six months or so I was eating three meals and three snacks every day.  Once that became a habit, I started to slowly make changes to what I was eating at every meal – e.g., whole grains, more fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, calories counting, etc.   

·         Exercise – For most of life I never exercised at all.  I started exercising by walking my dog Sammy.  At first it was ten minutes a few times a week.  Slowly, our walks got longer.  Over many months I transitioned to six forty-five minute walks a week with Sammy.  Once I established walking as a habit, I started to focus on walking faster – then further.  Eventually, I was able to walk four miles in 56 minutes.  At that point I realized that if I could learn to run, I could spend the same amount of time exercising but go much further and burn more calories.  So that is what I decided to do.  At first I would walk seven minutes, jog one minute and then walk seven minutes.  After a couple of weeks, I would walk six minutes, jog a minute and then walk six minutes.  Over many months, I slowly was able to run an entire mile, then two miles then three – and eventually I ran a half marathon.  It took me almost two years to move from no exercise to a half marathon, but I did – the slow and steady way.
All of these slow incremental changes allowed me to lose about fifty pounds during the first two years of my journey.  By the third year, all of these changes came together.  I was eating a healthy diet, hydrating regularly and exercising a lot.  I lost the last fifty pounds in six months. 
Making lifestyle changes is not easy and it does not happen overnight.  It is important to make small changes and establish good habits slowly. In the end you will improve your health, protect yourself against injury and most importantly you will lose the weight that you want to lose and hopefully enjoy your experience.
I am living proof.  Sometimes, slow and steady really does win the race! 

No comments:

Post a Comment