Sunday, October 13, 2013

Find Your Motivation

People occasionally say, “I love all of the weight loss ideas and exercise tips, but can you tell me how to find the motivation to lose weight?”  The short answer is, “No.”  There is no simple answer.  Everyone is different; we all live unique lives and we all experience the world differently.  There is no one size fits all answer to this question.  So while I have no definitive answers, I can offer some insights about how I found my personal motivation.  Hopefully parts of my story will inspire you find your own motivation.

As I shared with everyone in an earlier blog entry, my motivation to lose weight came from a strong desire to not to be the biggest person in the room anymore.  And while this is what drove me, it was not something that I discovered easily– this too was a process.
Human beings are remarkably adaptable.  We often adjust our behavior without consciously recognizing it.  For example, anyone who knows me well knows that when I travel I pack very lightly.  In fact, for more than twenty years, excluding a nearly three week trip to Argentina, I never checked a bag on an airplane.  I was an expert at packing everything I need in a carry-on bag.  Sadly though, this expertise was not something to proud of, it was the product of an almost paralyzing fear.  I never checked a bag because I was afraid that the airline might lose it. 

While no one wants to lose their luggage, for most people lost luggage is little more than an inconvenience easily remedied by a trip to a local department store.  In my case though, I was too large to shop in department stores.  I shopped exclusively in “Big and Tall” stores.  Unfortunately, unless you are traveling to a large urban area, there may not be a big and tall store available.  And even if there is a store, there is no guarantee that a given store would have had my size. The fear of losing my luggage and not being able to find clothes that fit me was a terrifying prospect.  The solution was simple; no checked luggage meant no lost clothes.  Problem solved.
If being overweight had forced me to make just this one accommodation it would have been no big deal.  But I slowly came to realize that my size led me to make various adaptations in virtually every social situation.  For example, I consciously steered clear of restaurants with small booths/chairs or bathrooms with exceptionally small stalls.  I avoided flying certain airlines because the seats were particularly small and uncomfortable.  Similarly, when I went places with friends I almost always drove because I didn’t fit comfortably in an average car.  I could provide dozens of examples, but I think you get my point.

And while the physical challenges were difficult, the psychological stress was worse.  Whenever I was in public, people stared at me, often in obvious ways.  I knew why.  And it hurt me deeply.  All too often my sensitivity to how others saw me led me to change my public behavior.  For example, my close friends and family know that I rarely eat dessert.  While most people think I just don’t care for sweets, the truth is that all too often I felt judged by people when I ordered dessert.  In my head I imagined that people were watching me and thinking, “He really doesn’t need that piece of cake.”  Whether it was true or not, that became an increasingly heavy burden to carry.
When I said that I decided to lose weight because I got tired of being the biggest person in the room, what I really mean is that I got tired of the physical and psychological burden associated with being overweight in public places.  I reached a point where I desperately wanted to be free from worrying about how to deal with size related obstacles – both physical and mental. 

More than anything, I wanted to know what it was like to be in public without making physical accommodations or being on the receiving end of judgmental stares.  Over time I slowly felt trapped by my size.  After a lot of soul searching, I imagined what that new life might be like, I pursued it and today that is the life I lead.  If you are seeking motivation to lose weight, imagine the life that you want to lead.  Keep that vision in your mind.  Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment