Sunday, October 20, 2013

Support is A Key to Success

It is probably no surprise that weight loss relies on motivation, discipline, healthy eating, portion control and regular exercise.  And while all of these things are critical for success, it can be easy to overlook how important it is to have “support” during your journey.

Some weight loss programs offer support through weekly group meetings.  Others offer it through internet discussion boards, interactive blogs and/or other electronic chat options.  All of these things can be valuable.  If any of these things work for you then you should use them.  But my weight loss journey was much more solitary.  I did not join any program or support group.  No one agreed to lose weight with me.  And I did not join any exercise classes or find a work out partner.  For the most part, I did it on my own. 
But the words “for the most part” are important.  Just because I did not join a support group or have a weight loss/workout partner does not mean that I did not have lots of support.  I had a lot of support and it came in many different shapes and sizes. 

In the beginning, I received enormous support from my family and close friends.  People provided me with inspiration, encouragement and compliments.  While these things are simple enough, they really do matter.  They helped to build self-confidence and a positive attitude which helped provide a good foundation for success.
Beyond inspiration and encouragement, for me at least, support meant minimizing opportunities for sabotage – intentional or otherwise.  During the first few months of my commitment to a healthier lifestyle my wife and children were careful not to keep “junk food” and other temptations around the house.  Within just a few months though I reached a point where that was no longer necessary, my family was free to eat and drink anything they wanted anytime they wanted.  I developed a lot of self-discipline.  All of that support during those early months of my journey was crucial to my success.

Finally, it was helpful for me to talk to people about my health and fitness goals.  I talked to everyone – family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.   Talking to people had so many benefits.  Most people were enormously generous with their encouragement, praise and wisdom.  I found many interactions with people truly inspiring.  It was surprising how many eating/exercising tips that people shared with me.  Finally, and this was a bit unexpected, sometimes my successes appeared to inspire others.  Not only did this make me feel good, but it inspired me to continue my journey.  Sharing my story – successes, struggles and failures yielded more benefits than I ever imagined possible.
Ultimately, we all need support.  But everyone is different.  Each of us needs different kinds of support to feel good about ourselves and to nurture our success.  Make sure you recognize what kind of support you need and surround yourself with as much of that support as possible.  The more support you have the greater your chances for continued success.

No comments:

Post a Comment